India

This trip was in the making for months and lots of complications to boot. From flight changes to forgetting a visa, everything that could go wrong felt like it went wrong. In end, it was a great trip and I had such a wonderful time visiting with my friend, Tanya. We became friends in high school at Lincoln Park.

When I arrived, I didn't really have good clothes for India, just the typical shorts and tank top that I wear for Chicago summers so Tanya and her brother took me to a couple malls. I got a really cute summer dress and a pair of sandals (much needed; previous pair broke). In India when you enter a store, you pretty much always go through security, similar to the security you go through at an airport. Bags are checked and people are patted down. That was something to get used to. 

We also went to an amazing dessert place. I don't even know how to describe the dessert but it was so good. There were so many other options as well. I wish I could have had more time to try all the different varieties!!



I think my favorite part of going to India was the food I had there. Now I wish I had taken photos of all the meals I had. I was lucky enough to have homemade meals with Tanya's family. Her mom made the most amazing, delicious food!!! Most Indian food in Dehli is very spicy but there's always some kind of bread, yogurt or sweet fruit drink complimenting the meal that helps tone down the spice. I ate so much there. I was always stuffed after every meal. It was so hard to just eat until I was full because there was so much to try and all of it was so yummy!!!

It was so sweet, all of Tanya's friends and family wanted to meet me so for all the outings we went on each day, one of Tanya's friends or family members would tag along with us. I didn't meet everyone but those I did were so kind to me. I had such a great time with one of Tanya's friends. He drove us all around and he'd point out different places or structures and tell me a little about it. He took us to a small Indian market that I was lucky enough to be in India for. I could look around that market for hours. The market was so colorful! And there was lots of different dresses, skirts, & jewelry. I actually bought a traditional Indian skirt and top there. It was so hard to make a decision about what exactly I wanted. I could pick out things I liked that I saw other people wearing on the street or on the train but when I'm at a store or a market like this with so many different options and many very similar items, my head spins.

So India was super hot and humid but less than I expected so I had no complaints and we always stopped somewhere with air conditioning every so often or when I was tired, hot, and dripping with sweat. The cool air, a quick snack, and some water freshened me up very quickly and I would be ready for the next thing.








Comments

Popular Posts