Life sometimes.

I'm currently sitting in the Doha airport in Qatar for my layover. I'm on my way to Thailand! Thought I could use this time to write. 

The seed that planted the idea for this trip started with a course I was planning to take in India with an environmental institute, associated with North Park University called, AuSable. I needed the credits to complete my major and to graduate. My friend and then roommate had been talking about wanting to travel Southeast Asia but wanted to go with someone. As soon as it seemed like the India course was going to happen, it seemed so perfect. I was going to continue traveling with Ida after the course and so we began to make plans together for Southeast Asia. 

Time went by and before I knew it, I was in my last semester at North Park, one of the hardest semesters there, not because of the school work but life itself. My life felt as if it was being totally uprooted. My apartment was being sold. My sister was moving to Croatia. And I was about to enter into the world, trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life, life after academics while trying to stay on top of my classes. In addition I was preparing for my trip for this summer. It felt like so many things were happening, everything was fuzzy, there was no clear direction and I wasn't ready for all the change that was happening in my life. It was too much, I could barely get through a day without breaking down or getting overwhelmed.  

One month before I was done with classes at North Park and my course in India along with my travel plans that followed, I received a phone call informing me that the India course was canceled. In normal circumstances this wouldn't be a big deal since I could take one of their other courses in the US but I had already bought a flight out from there to another destination. I had to totally rethink my plans. The cost of the flight went down the drain. I didn't do anything with it since the fees involved with cancellations or refunds were worth more than the cost of the flight. I did figure things out but the craziness didn't stop there, life decided to throw one last obstacle at me.

I had all my flights and plans figured out before I left for AuSable. I ended up taking an Insect Ecology course in Northern Michigan. I had such a great time there!! As much as I would have loved to go to India for my course, I wouldn't change a thing. After I finished the course, I had a flight out to India a couple days later. I switched out my gear and prepared for my big 3 month trip. At this point I was just nervous. I was also a bit stressed, there were a few things for the trip that were coming by mail but weren't going to arrive in time. I had to work out a way to get those things to Ida so she could bring the stuff for me since she was leaving later. 

Come time for my flight, I headed over to O'Hare Airport. I checked in, went through security, and found my flight. I was all ready to board! But while I was waiting in line to get on the plane, airline attendants came by just to check that things were in order. I was told I needed to go to the desk to get my boarding pass approved and stamped before I could board. I didn't think anything of it and wasn't worried but after getting it stamped, the desk attendant noticed I didn't have a visa for India. In the mess of things, I had forgotten to get a visa. I felt so dumb. Without a visa I couldn't get on the plane, another flight that went down the drain. I felt like everything that could go wrong went wrong at that point. It was not a fun time but I eventually got over it, I did everything I could to see what options I had but after that there wasn't nothing I could do about the wasted costs I had spent.

But in the end I got through it all and this has probably prepared me for my time in Asia and many more experiences to come. It's not always a smooth road. Life is just what it is. Everyday I'm learning something new. 


Comments

Popular Posts